Sunday, September 11, 2011

Trading your car-what's a girl to do?

At the Symco Shakedown I met a guy who coveted my Buick Wildcat, and wanted to trade for a Pontiac Chieftan that he had. Not having the mental car library that my husband does, I was not sure about this, so we exchanged numbers and went our ways. When we got home we got out the Cars of the 50's book and looked up the '53 Pontiac Chieftan. I was still not too impressed. I then received a phone call from the owner of the Chieftan who told me he could email me photos of the Pontiac.

1953 Pontiac Chieftan
 When I saw them I started to get that tingly feeling when you start falling in love (with a material object). I mean it was white with a cream interior, one of my favorites, and an older model than mine, but now I'm just getting ahead of myself since I haven't even driven or seen the Pontiac yet.  And so, as it often does life gets busy and it was a little while before we managed to meet to discover each other's cars. I was on the fence about trading, my car needed more work than his but being a convertible had a smaller number of models manufactured. Plus, the Wildcat is my baby, I've had it for eight years. I could drive the Pontiac more since it wouldn't be just a fair weather driver, but my Wildcat has a more powerful engine. I think when it came down to it, test drive and all, it was just an emotional attachment. I told him I needed a little time to think about it and promised him an answer soon.
As it turned out he contacted me the same evening and said he had changed his mind. I was relieved that I no longer had to make this decision and could continue my love affair with my imperfect Wildcat.
Happy motoring!
Wild Kat in her '64 Wildcat

No comments:

Post a Comment