To my surprise, it went pretty well. I used Simplicity 6954, dated 1966. I took an inch out of both the center front and back seams because apparently not only am I vertically challenged but also horizontally. I left the skirt a little long so it would fall below my knee, and then, subsequently, added a kick pleat so I could walk.
Now I typically don't search out polyester, but I liked the weight of this fabric. And the red rose print on navy caught my eye. Plus it cost me something like $1.50 at the local thrift. The leftover scraps went back to said thrift store, so you see, it was the perfect thing! No cost; no pressure; no guilt! All sewing should be this carefree!
Admittedly though, I like my Tolstoy, so now I'm in the throes of a 1930s matching skirt and jacket. But until that is ready to leave the sewing room, I'll be peddling around the neighborhood in this little number.
Happy days, Everyone!