Friday, January 20, 2012

Peek-a-boo Pin-Up Towel

I think we can all agree that no self-respecting 1940s farmhouse would be complete without an embroidered towel in the kitchen.  For years I've contemplated those Days of the Week sets.  You know the ones with kittens or pigs or silverware doing adorable things like laundry and ironing.  I haven't embroidered for many years, and this project allowed me to dip my toe in the water without committing to seven towels (or the assumption that I would swap out said towels every day).

Over Christmas I came across an article in Country Living's holiday magazine, talking about sprucing up your powder room for guests.  They showcased a few unique hand towels which led me to this. . .


. . . my pin-up girl towel.  I found a piece of tightly woven cotton that I think used to be a duvet cover of some kind (it had snaps and ties along one edge).  Obviously salvaged from another project, it had the perfect blend of worn but not worthless.  I cut a piece 16" x 34".  I hemmed the edges and added red rickrack to the short ends.

The pin-up design I sketched myself.  Her body and posture is loosely based on a Petty pin-up I found, but I changed her hair, dress and added a wooden spoon.  All the embroidery is done using a simple outlining stitch with French knots for eyes.  I make no bones about my skills being exceptional, but they will serve.
 
Now the really fun part of this project was her dress.  I used a piece of 1940s floral and sewed up a skirt which is attached only at the waistline.  A little flip of her skirt reveals her panties underneath!  To make her panties, I laid down a piece of fine mesh netting, embroidered the red stitching over the top to secure it, and trimmed away the excess.

After a bit of searching I found the Apron Lady, EllynAnne Geisel, who contributed her expertise and pieces from her personal collection to the Country Living article on vintage linens.  Go to her blog to see the original 1950s peek-a-boo towel that I was inspired by.  Ms. Geisel has a treasure trove of linens that would make any girl swoon!

For a tour of my kitchen, visit here.

So I suppose I could make another six towels to complete this set, but I have new fabric for kitchen curtains.  That is next up on the To Do List.  My little gal here will have to hold up for more than just Friday!

Join the Farmgirl Blog Hop every Friday!

12 comments:

  1. Hi BoPeep! Love our post and your blog! welcome to farmgirl Friday! Look forward to seeing more of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is completely cool! I really like it, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable, love it! Just like the pens you click and the girls bikini disappears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My grandpa had a bunch of those pens. When you turned the pen upside down the girls ink bikinis disappeared. I had forgotten all about them.

      Delete
  4. That is too cute! You're going to need it to wipe up all the drool I just left on your range.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! What a clever dish towel! I think I've gotta make some of those. Too cute! Thanks for sharing. Love your range, by the way. I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Cool. I like the towel a lot. But Love your stove. I really enjoyed this post. I am now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so adorable!! I may have to borrow the idea and make one for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just doing some blog hopping and saw your embroidery post! I LOVE this! I just have to do one for a favorite auntie! Your towel came out great! Oh and your stove is a dream!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this!! What fun - you could have a whole range of products. I had a friend who had an "Eve" apron, with fig leaves covering the naughty bits - hilarious - when they were removed (on velcro) all was revealed - very rude!!! But your 1950's style is great. Fun blog. I know your mum over the astral airways, as another Soul Coach, although we have never met in person! check out my daughter's blog www.kittyandmefashion.blogspot.com. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking us out! I love your daughter's blog, it made me giggle right away. I have a soft spot for fashion so I'm sure I will enjoy following her blog. Looking forward to the inspiration!

      Delete