Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Tale of Two Blouses

It all started at the fabric store, ahem, Goodwill, when I found this delightful bird fabric.
A few adjustments were needed.

Not usually a fan of novelty fabric for clothing, I discovered I couldn't pass this up. A blouse did briefly cross my mind as I put it in my shopping bag. Whatever it's fate I loved it. Fast forward a few months.....

 In building my thirties wardrobe, I decided this blouse pattern would be the perfect match with my birds!
I found a date stamped on this pattern of 1938.

This year my sewing goal is to finish one item a month, and so far I am on track! I may fall off the wagon this summer, as the garden and Lady Day are calling my name in the warm breezes BUT it has been a LONG COLD spring. Which means more time to sew, but still deadlines are much more effective.

Antiquing in Hixton, and Easter vacation in Florida were two deadlines on my schedule!

I almost hate to remove the buttons  from the card!
Pulling together my notions for the bird blouse I found some cute vintage buttons in my stash and decided to try bound buttonholes. Isn't the placement of the buttons adorable?


Always best to practice first.
I fall madly for the details of vintage clothing, and this blouse has a few. The pleat in the back and the little tucks which make it tuck in quite nicely to your high-waisted pants.

Hard to imagine wearing any of these clothes when it's snowing outside!

I finished it just hours before Hixton!

I must admit after getting my fabric at Goodwill, I get a little sticker shock when I go into a real fabric store. Two bolts of Moda pleated cotton caught my eye right away, and though I tried to forget about them while browsing I decided that this would be my next blouse. Well, what's a little splurge anyhow?
 I used a pattern from the 40's for this blouse that is very similar to the thirties styles.

As this one was being sewn during the Sew for Victory sew-a-long I decided to submit it. If you haven't checked this out, there is tons of inspiration and flawless seamstresses out there. Even if you don't join I recommend looking it over!

Initially, I planned to omit the trim on the blouse, but then I remembered one of my stashes. This would be excellent use of my vintage rick rack, not an overtly rick rack look, but a softer, scalloped look. More vintage buttons were found in my other stash that worked perfectly.


It occurs to me I have to lay everything out ( no folding the fabric) match the seams, and seam the top of the collar so the pleats would come out matching. I was obviously blinded by love in the fabric store.
Turned out very nicely I think.



Ready for Florida! Are we there yet?

 Ahh.. I finally got to the warmer weather and it was more delightful than I remembered.

Oh, and check out my Freddies! I have never paid this much for a pair of jeans, but I have to tell you, if you want the vintage look and top quality, you will not be disappointed. I am in love with them and already planning which will be my next pair when I scrape up some extra money. Freddies of Pinewood.
I may just buy some capris in case it warms up this summer!

7 comments:

  1. Well done! I absolutely love the bird fabric! I love novelty prints and it made a sweet blouse. Also the pleated fabric is so classic looking. It will be a blouse you can wear with so many things. Your blouses really make me want to sew some myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Easy projects that don't take too long, that's what I like!

      Delete
  2. I love Freddies! I have two pairs of their jeans and a pair of the capris that I got super on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think blouses get overlooked too often as we always tend towards dresses, but these two are perfect additions to building a solid wardrobe. Love the pleated fabric and you did a fantastic job matching! Plus, I always love me some rickrack. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, dresses are easy one-piece wardrobe, but in my realistic plan of sewing what I will wear, I decided this would be great. Plus, I love dresses in the summer! So I need clothes for the other 335 days of the year! ;)

      Delete
  4. Good for you for setting a sewing goal and sticking with it, I really need to do that right now I feel like all my sewing time has gone to tracing patterns definitely rethinking vintage pattern trading group although it got me that copy of your pattern for the bird blouse ;) Loved the bird blouse in Hixton the other looks just as fabulous. As for buying fabric at stores I use coupons I never buy fabric unless I can get 40% off. though I have thrifted fabric and if you can do it it is a great way to keep the cost down. I really need to sew down my stash right now so I am trying not to look if I happen to visit a store.

    ReplyDelete