Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pin up art

You may remember a few posts back, okay okay, quite a few, where I started a watercolor. I have made some progress! It seems very hard to allow myself to work on art and not feel quilt over the things I "should be" doing. I am trying hard to eliminate the "should be"s from my head. So today I have been unwinding with painting. The first few steps of painting are not very exciting, but necessary. Stretching, the paper, drawing my subject, and transferring the image must all be completed before I can begin the fun of laying down color.
A light sketch to keep me on track.
On the background, I laid in my paint and then while it was drying I sprinkled in some salt.

I added in a layer of light green values.
I added some white out to my paper thinking I could remove it later, but perhaps I should buy some proper art tools. lucky for me I liked the effect it gave for this painting.

On another day I added in flesh tone and her hair and eye color.


Today I decided to mess with her only to wish I hadn't. I put blue in her lingerie, but I regret that and I couldn't lift it out.  I know as an artist you ALWAYS wish you had done something differently so I will let it go. I liked the way her lips turned out. I am thinking of adding to it but I'm not sure, which is usually a sign that you are done. Giving it a fresh look in the morning always helps too! Happy painting gals!

1 comment:

  1. I like the blue slip. It blends with the pillow and background and makes her face the focal point.

    ReplyDelete