Friday, May 6, 2011

About my mother...


Photo taken 1962
age 21
X-ray technician at Deaconess Hospital, Milwaukee, WI



More than any one thing, my mother has instilled in me an immeasurable sense of confidence.  Of course it has taken me years to realize, refine and pinpoint her as the source of this strength, but it has always been there nonetheless.

Mom has taught me to cook, can, embroider (I was 6 yrs old when I started my first ABC sampler), sew, quilt, and garden.  From her I have my love of vintage, my artistic sense for decorating, and my "built-in" ability to raise well-rounded kids in a happy home. 

But all of these daily chores would be far less effective if I did not have the measure of self-worth that I do.  Every person should be respected and appreciated, for better or worse.  Mom was not, and still is not, a saint.  She made mistakes and said hurtful things (please never tell a teenager that her hair is "God awful").  But she is human.  And doing the best with what the Good Lord gave her.

For her efforts and sacrifices, for her lessons and guidance, I love my mother, and she will always be a part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment